ISM will supply all ropes and climbing hardware.
However people booked onto our more advanced Technical AlpinISM course are requested to bring a rack of nuts, 6 quickdraws and 3-4 ice screws if they already own them.
Equipment which ISM can provide on request (FREE OF CHARGE - however we do expect you to replace any items you lose!)
Mountaineering Ice Axe and/or technical ice axes
Belay device, karabiners, slings and prussiks
Personal Clothing note: Dressing properly for the mountains can make the difference between an enjoyable trip and an uncomfortable one. Clothing should give the right degree of warmth for the activity, wick perspiration and be easy to ventilate. You should avoid clothes made from cotton as they become cold and clammy when wet.
Independent outdoor retail partners, UK.
Both Shops offer very competitive prices at special discounted rates to all our clients, on leading brands of outdoor clothing and equipment. If you're an ISM client booked onto a course, then you will have received a 'discount code' which can be used either in the shop or buying directly from either of the Climbers Shop website.
Clothing and General Equipment
- Waterproof, breathable jacket - such as the Arc'teryx Alpha FL jacket
- Waterproof trousers - such as the Arc'teryx Alpha AR pant
- Mountaineering boots
- Gaiters - optional
- Rock climbing shoes - essential on technical courses
- Warm Gloves - such as the Arc'teryx Beta AR glove or the Zenta LT glove
- Thinner fleece gloves - such as the Arc'teryx Rivet AR glove
- Thermal Tops x 2 - such as the Arc'teryx Phase AR Zip Neck Longsleeve
- Mid-layer Powerstretch Top - such as the Arc'teryx Fortrez Hoody
- Mid-layer warmer insulating piece - such as theArc'teryx Nuclei Hoody
- Mountain trousers - such as the Arc'teryx Gamma AR pant
- Warm hat to fit under a helmet - such as the Arc'teryx Molly and Moe Toque Hat
- Trekking socks and spares
- Map - your guide will have the correct map
- Compass and whistle (optional)
- Head torch and spare batteries
- Rucksack 40 to 50 litres - such as the Arc'teryx FL45
- Small personal first aid kit (‘Compeed’ and tape for blisters and pain killers such as aspirin or ibuprofen)
- Water Bottle/Camelback (1 to 1.5 litres recommended) NB. Camelback’s external tubes can freeze in very cold conditions
- Pen Knife
- Sunglasses (Cat 4 rating is preferable)
- Sun cream (factor 25+, total block) and lip block
- Sun Hat - such as the Sinsolo hat
- Money, Passport, Alpine Club/BMC membership if you are a member
- Trekking Poles - optional
- Sheet sleeping bag - obligatory in most huts
- Ear plugs - optional
- Training/approach shoes - travelling and evening wear
- Spare clothes for wearing in the valley (during away courses we usually have one valley night in which to freshen up).
Mountaineering Equipment which can be supplied by ISM if necessary
- Ice axe - 50 to 60cms long, depending on your height - such as the DMM Cirque axe
- Ice hammer - 50 cms to 55cms long, only needed on technical courses
- Crampons - 12 point crampons such as the Petzl Charlet Vasak for general mountaineering or the Petzl Charlet Sarken's for more technical alpine mountaineering
- Helmet - such as the Petzl Sirocco helmet
- Harness - such as the Arc-teryx R-320a harness
- Belay plate with screwgate karabiner - such as the Petzl Reverso and Petzl Attache HMS screwgate karabiner
Mountaineering Equipment which you need to bring
- 2 x HMS screwgate karabiners - such as the Petzl Attache HMS screwgate karabiner
- 2 x Prusik Cord with 1 x snapgate karabiner - Prusik cord is generally 5 or 6mm in diameter & about 130cm in length. The prusik cord is then knotted together using a fishermans knot to create a tied loop. This tied loop (now about 45cm in it's doubled up length) can now be used to make prusik knots (prusiks are used in crevasse rescue and when ascending ropes which is called prusiking)
- Sewn tape sling A 120cm Sewn Dyneema tape sling is perfect for snow & rock belays
PLEASE NOTE - You will need to bring a thin sheet sleeping bag for any hut nights, but sleeping bags are NOT required.